On this section of our website, we will be featuring new ways to design the interior and exterior of your residential and commercial space. Design is relatively new, constantly evolving, and often confusing to the public. In design, emphasis is mainly on planning, functional design and effective use of space. Design includes arranging the basic layout of spaces within a building as well as projects that require an understanding of technical issues such as acoustics, lighting, ambiance, decor, temperature, etc. Types of interior design include residential design, commercial design, hospitality design, healthcare design, universal design, exhibition design, spatial branding, etc.
Residential design is the design of the interior of private residences. As this type of design is very specific for individual situations, the needs and wants of the individual are paramount.
Commercial design encompasses a wide range of sub specialties. These include:
- Retail: malls and shopping centers, department stores, specialty stores, visual merchandising and showrooms.
- Visual and spatial branding: The use of space as a media to express the corporate brand
- Corporate: office design for any kind of business
- Healthcare: the design of hospitals, assisted living facilities, medical offices, dentist offices, psychiatric facilities, laboratories, medical specialist facilities
- Hospitality and recreation: hotels, motels, resorts, cafes, bars, restaurants, health clubs and spas.
- Institutional: government offices, financial institutions (banks and credit unions), schools and universities, religious facilities, etc.
- Industrial facilities: manufacturing and training facilities as well as import and export facilities
Other areas of specialization include museum and exhibition design, event design (including ceremonies, parties, conventions and concerts), theater and performance design, production design for film and television.